Fortune of War Hotel
The Fortune of War Hotel is located at 137 Geroge Street in Sydney, New South
Wales. The hotel claims to hold the longest continuous liquor licence in Sydney, even though the building
dates from the 1920's. However an earlier hotel with the same name was believed to have been operating on the
same location in the 1840's.
The hotel was designed by Tooth & Co architect and built by H.J. & H.W. Thompson in 1922. The hotel is a
three storey, face brick building with stucco detailing and still retains its original wall tiles, face brick and
rendered trim. The Fortune of War is described as Californian Bungalow style as applied to a commercial
building.The hotel lies on site that was once occupied the northern end of the Portable hospital built in 1790. In
1830 Samuel Terry had erected shops and houses in the area and in 1839 one of the shops became a Public House
called the 'Fortune of War'.
The originally 'Fortune of War' was a three storey hotel built from stone. The hotel traded as Marine Hotel from
1856-1878 and had a succession of owners until the hotel was eventually demolished in 1920 and a new hotel was
erected in 1922.